Narrowing the Gap (NtG)
was a two year programme hosted by the Local Government Association (LGA), supported
by Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA) and funded by Department for Children,
Schools and Families (DCSF) now Department for Education. It aimed to ‘Narrow the
Gap’ in outcomes between vulnerable and excluded children and others, against a
context of improving outcomes for all.
From October 2008 the programme was overseen by C4EO.
The NtG programme focused on five key lines of enquiry which are how to:
- Create and sustain the right links between schools, children's centres and children's
- Engage and support parents and carers in helping their children to succeed
- Use the new systems and process brought into being by Every Child Matters to orientate
services more towards prevention and early intervention
- Strengthen and align local leadership and governance arrangements – professional
- Strengthen systems for developing local leaders to deliver improved services based
on the understanding of what works
The programme has a small core team of experienced sector experts, led by Christine
Davies CBE, which includes Dame Gillian Pugh and Jane Held.
This team was supported by a reference group of which CSN, NCB, IDeA, NFER, RiP,
SCIE, CWDC, TDA, NCSL, Audit Commission and OPM are critical partners.